Wednesday 19 December 2012

An expected unexpected journey.

The Hobbit an unexpected journey.

A film that has come to the cinema with high expectations,
Could Peter Jackson and co deliver another series of masterpiece works?
Would it be a poor mans Lord of the rings.

Yesterday like many of us 'geeks' I headed off to the cinema with mixed feelings, but a deep hope Mr.Jackson would deliver again.

At 12:30 i entered the cinema armed with enough popcorn and pepsi to last the 3 hours of geekgasm heaven....or that's what i hoped.

I had read a few comments, some positive, some not so, some pointing out the 'added in bit' (which was added in as there was no female roles), hence my mixed feelings, but overall i was excited.

Its hard to believe its been 9 years almost to the day since we stormed the cinemas for 'Return of the king'. I am one of the people who was blessed to see all 3 Lotr films at the cinema, including seeing 'The Two Towers' with my fellow staffers at GW Milton Keynes.

I firmly believe that as wargamers and fantasy realm fans we owe a lot of our visions and ideas to the words of Tolkien. No matter which one of the films i see, i always have this unhealthy urge to grab some high elves and head off to the warhammer battlefield. But i am trying to temper that urge as I'm working on a dwarf army.

Anyway back on track.

I will not give any spoilers as i don't want to ruin the film for anyone who hasn't seen it.
Did it live upto my expectations. YES
Did the added in 'extra bit' fit the film. YES, and it blended in seamlessly.
Has Peter Jackson delivered another epic. ABSOLUTELY.

My only gripe was that 1 or 2 of the dwarves appeared 'too' human and not dwarvish enough, now that said my own view of dwarves is more Gimli, hairy, bearded axe wielding victor meldrews with a fetish for head removal.
But in truth even with my own personal little gripe i would happily give 'The Hobbit: An unexpected Journey' full marks out of 10. Peter Jackson has delivered another beautiful film and the 12 month wait for the next one seems far too long to this haggard old wardog. I want it now. Guess i may have to watch the hobbit again, purely for a more informed view of course ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment